[ANSTHRLD] commentary on July Iloi Commentary

Ray Smith rayasmith at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 19:45:03 PDT 2001

Good evening.
I discussed some of the concerns about whether or not
her lance is too big, and thus returnable as "slot
machine", or not.  She is of the opinion that if the
lance were to be drawn smaller, it would no longer be
recognizable as a lance but would appear to be a
spear.  I did remind her that this was merely
discussion and not decision.  However, since her first
device was returned, and her second apparently
disappeared into the great time-space continuum which
we bend to our will, she would like to do whatever she
can to make sure this goes both quickly and to her
liking.
Thus, she forwarded me a redraw of her device, with a
somewhat smaller lance/spear, to see if that would
work.

I am able to forward these, as (good-sized)
attachments to anyone who would like to study them, if
you would email me off-list.

Thank you,

Andrè

--- doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is commentary for July so far.  Please see if
> you
> find any errors or surprises.  I would like to
> correct
> them before it goes to Retarius.
>
> Magnus von Lubeck
>

> 7) Dior Alagrant (Bryn Gwlad)
> [Device] add "...on a winged stag salient to
> sinister"  There has
> been some discussion on slot machine heraldry with
> this device.  If
> the lance is small enough to be a maintained charge
> it is OK.  If it
> is large enough to be sustained then it is a slot
> machine return.
>   The lance is much larger than the woman carrying
> it.  A lance has
> been registered as maintained before Pawel
> Aleksander od Zerania May
> of 1986 (via the East): "Azure, a man armed
> cap-a-pie and
> maintaining a lance and shield argent, between in
> chief two plates."
>   January 1999 LoAR Béibhinn Ní Dhonnamháin. Name
> and device. "Vert,
> a falcon close contourny and a lion rampant Or
> maintaining between
> them a sword argent, on a chief Or a harp vert.
> Note: this is not
> slot machine since the sword is maintained and not
> sustained."
>   January 1998 LoAR Sean Cullin Redhawk. Device.
> "Quarterly argent
> and sable, in saltire a sword inverted bendwise
> sinister proper and
> an eagle's talon bendwise, clasping a roundel gules.
>  This is being
> returned for violation our rule on slot machine,
> three different
> charges in the same charge group. If a charge is
> sustaining another
> it is considered two different charges in the same
> group, unlike a
> maintained charge."

=====
"Everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world." - T.L. Ranger