[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Submission

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald herald at ansteorra.org
Fri Jul 27 13:48:45 PDT 2001

A submitter sent me the following. Can someone help
with checking it's viability?

Borek, Star
*********************

SCA name- submitting Kiara de Mondragon

For the Name Kiara-Taken from an Irish Saint Ciar (also
spelled and known as, Kiara, Ciara, Chier, Cior, Cyra,
Cera or Ceara), who was an abbess of a monastery in
Kilkeary in Ireland and another at Tehelly during the
7th century. The names derived from it were commonly
given throughout the following centuries. "Ciar"
derives from the Old Irish Gaelic word meaning "dark."
The Ciar were literally the "Black Irish"-the dark-
haired, dark-eyed offspring of the Spaniards who were
stranded from the Spanish Armada.

Documentation, dates of death, and feastdays for St.
Ciar (or Kiara) and the Saints that she was a disciple
of (St. Fintan Munnu Kiara, who was a disciple of St.
Comgall) can be found at the Catholic Online Saints at
the following URLS...
St. Kiara
http://www.catholic.org/saints/kiara.html
http://www.catholic.org/cgi-bin/search2_saints.pl
St. Fintan Munnu Kiara
http://saints.catholic.org/saints/fintan1.html
St. Comgall
http://saints.catholic.org/saints/comgall.html

The name Ciara was also found at the following site as
well..
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a8700035/irnames.html

The Last Name of Mondragon is of the Spanish language.
The name comes from the village of Mondragon in the
district of Vergara. The meaning of the name is "High
Pasture" or "pasture in the mountains." Literally
translated, it means "Mount of the Dragon." The
ancestral seat of Mondragon is located in the town of
the same name. Documentation for Mondragon and the
Coats of Arms was found at the following URL...I can
provide others if needed, it is a known Spanish
Surname...

http://www.bdragon.com/genealogy/history/mondragon.shtml

The concept for the name is a female with an irish
Mother who married her Spanish father and returned with
him to Spain. Thus she could have a Irish first name of
Kiara or Ciara with her father's Spanish Surname of
Mondragon. There is also a variant spelling of Kiara in
the Spanish language of "cara" which literally
means "face" or "pretty face".

*If my name MUST be changed, I care more about the
sound of the first name "kah-rah" and the meaning of
the surname with something containg a draconic
reference...
----- End forwarded message -----