[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Submission

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Jul 27 18:31:47 PDT 2001

(Recycling whimsy.)

Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> [someone else wrote:]
> > The Ciar were literally the "Black Irish"-the dark-haired,
> > dark-eyed offspring of the Spaniards who were stranded from the
> > Spanish Armada.
>
> This is beyond speculation into the realm of sheer fantasy.  There
> was no Spanish Armada in the 7th century, which is the first solid
> date for the name.

I am excessively fond of the following Usenet article:

    From: adolphso at mizar.usc.edu (Arne Adolfsen)
    Newsgroups: soc.motss
    Subject: Re: Visiting Dublin
    Date: 14 Nov 1995 15:00:23 -0800
    <480vqu$87q at newsbf02.news.aol.com> <48b682$9kk at gw.PacBell.COM>

In article <48b682$9kk at gw.PacBell.COM> Rod Williams
<rjwill6 at pacbell.com> writes:

> brianshore at aol.com (BrianShore) wrote:
> >... contrairy to hollywood movies not all Irishmen are readheads
> >although quite a few are.  There's the Black Irish - decendents of
> >the Moorish invaision of the Emerald Isle.

[...]

> To be filed under "Blarney, examples of."
> Rod (*Moorish* invasion???)

Yes.  Right after the Moors defeated the French at Roncesvalles, they
continued on up to Brittany, crossed the Channel and beat the English,
then set off for Ireland, where they kicked out the Vikings and
settled down.  The Caliphate of Eire, which lasted for several hundred
years, can in some ways be considered the high point of Irish history.

Besides, how else can you explain all those mosques and minarets that
are strewn about Ireland, especially in the west?

--
"In fact, it was my impression that I was not making out as well as most