[ANSTHRLD] Request for assistance

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Wed Jul 11 04:17:32 PDT 2001

Daniel reported:
- Corpora just says "Only royalty and territorial Barons and
  Baronesses may bestow awards", but doesn't say why.  It does have a
  clause about how "The basic duties of the Baron and/or Baroness are
  ceremonial in nature in reflecting the royal presence in the
  barony.", but that's well above that.

Y'know that's weird -- I've seen the Crown delegate awards out to a Court
Baroness before so that the CB could hold court in some remote outpost that
the Crown wouldn't be visiting that reign.  The awards were signed by the
Crown, but given by the CB.

>For example: Note that Corpora says that baronies cannot give
>armigerous awards.  Note that most all Ansteorran baronies give an
>armigerous award.

I think that's "not on it's own without Crown approval".  As far as I know,
the Crown has to OK all the armigererous awards, even if the recipient is
already armigerous.

However, lots of groups (in Ansteorra and other kingdoms, from discussion on
the SCA-Wide Laurel List) create non-armigerous awards that don't get
reported in the OP.  They usually have a badge or symbol or insignia of some
sort, and are given as an "attaboy" usually for people who have done neat
stuff but aren't quite ready for an AoA yet, or to older hands that have way
many awards  as a public thank you.

Right off hand, Bjornsborg has their Firebrands, which I think is an order.
Bryn Gwlad has the Martlet for service, the Silver Chalice for persona, the
Muse for A&S, etc.

::GUNNORA::