[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Name / Spelling for "Tessa" of the Gardens

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 11 09:56:24 PDT 2001

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald wrote:

> After some clipping of persona story, I have the follow
> request from Countess Theresa "Tessa" of the Gardens.
> Is the documentation sited enough to change her name?
> Is there other documentation to support this name
> change?

snipped

>  The approval came as "T-her-esa," with
> one 's'.  Or maybe it was spelled "Therese."
>     Documentation  for "Tessa" is found in   _The_
> Decameron_, by Giovanni Boccaccio (1313-1375).  From
> the translation by Richard Aldington, FIRST TALE, 3rd
> paragraph:
> "...His wife was a very beautiful, clever and charming
> woman, by name Monna Tessa, the daughter of Mannuccio
> da la Cuculia.  Perceiving that her husband was......"
>
> <snip>

R&W show s.n. Garden, Gardyne: William del Gardin c1183, John atte
Gardyne 1296. The problem is with Therese/Tess.

Concerning T(h)erese, Withycombe says that "it did not spread outside
the Iberian peninsula until after the 15th when St Terese of Avila
carried it into all Roman Catholic countires..."
A look at a majority of English articles at St. Gabriel library show no
T(h)erese or Tessa.

As an Italian name Teresa is in De Felice Nomi which mentions Teresa of
Avlia d.in 1582.
The by-name can possibly be contructed with the examples of Della Corte
'from the courtyard or court' from De Felice Cognomi s.n. Corte, page
107-8, and s.n. Giardino, page 137.

I prefer Teresa Giardina, but it's not the same as the client wants.

Someone have any ideas as to a Spanish name?
I found Teresa in Talan's KWHS article Glossary of The Persoanl Names in
Diez Melcon's book, KWHS AS XXVIII, page 138, Teresa, 1049 - 1248.

--
Andrea / Maridonna