[ANSTHRLD] helms, livery, and fru-fru oh my

Paul Haines wyrmclaw at ev1.net
Thu Jul 19 15:01:30 PDT 2001

It's ironic (to me) that this question came up.  I am in the process of
writing up a little guide about just such things.  I'm hoping to make it a
Non-Herald's Guide to SCA Device Heraldry.  Just a little something that
maybe locals would like a copy of, so when a newcomer comes to him/her for
help in designing a device, they can pull out the guide either go over it
with the newcomer, or give it to the newcomer to get started.  The guide
might also be useful to new heralds.  I've gotten a lot of surprised looks
from people when they found out I knew a bit about heraldry before I became
a herald.  Is it really so uncommon that heralds know a thing or two before
they become a herald?  Anyway, this little guide of mine might help with
that.  A tentative outline will be to discuss the assembly of the full
coat-of-arms with achievements, starting with the device and working up.

The guide might also make for a nifty class for the next Heraldic and
Scribal Symp. :)

In service,
Alden