[ANSTHRLD] Possible Herald Circle ?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Jun 7 00:23:17 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, PoetLover <poetlover at spdway.net> wrote:
>  I have been asked to invite the Heralds to have a Heraldic Circle
> at our next Golden Arrow event.

So what do you want heralds to do?  I can think of these things:
- teach classes.
- do field heraldry and court heraldry, but that's not a "circle".
- have a decision meeting on submissions for the month.
- have a consultation table.

(The usual terminology: orders, like the Laurels and Chivalry and
Pelicans and Centurions and ..., have "circles".  Heralds have "a
consult table" or "a meeting of the College of Heralds" or "a
collegium" or whatnot.)

> We will provide a tent or pavilion for heraldic privacy during the
> Circle.

When heralds do it in a circle, we scorn privacy.  Seriously, not only
do none of the activities above require privacy, we invite anyone to
any of them, including the decision meeting.  A pavillion or tent
without sides might be nice for shade purposes, I suppose, but you
said it was an April event, no?  so that's not quite as important as,
say, August.  Sides for a tent might be useful for a consult table, to
help keep papers from blowing away.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;