[ANSTHRLD] Answering questions

Ray Smith rayasmith at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 07:46:37 PDT 2001

Speaking as a lurker, I LOVE it when people mention
new on-line references, websites, etc.  They're
generally good sources, and affordable (as I can't
generally afford many of the really rockin' heraldry
books that are out there).
It also helps me, I think, become better at what I do
and will hopefully help me get me to the point where I
feel better qualified to try to answer some of the
questions posted out here.
So, no I'm not offended when you explain how to get
the answer to people's questions - after all, one of
our Prime Directives is to further heraldic education,
and to me that includes teaching people how to find
answers to their questions and not just regurgitate
what they're told.
Just my two-sous worth.

Andrè de Chartres, Bryn-Gwlad

--- Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> An open query to the list:
>
> Recently, I responded to a posting on an heraldic
> mailing list I
> subscribe to (this narrows it down not at all - I
> subscribe to every
> SCA heraldic mailing list I know of) with pointers
> to the locations
> in the AH/RfS/Laurel Precedents/Laurel Education
> articles/mundane sources
> where the poster might find the answers I gave, and
> pretty much said,
> "in future, you may look here for answers".
>
> I got pulled into private email and ripped for it.
> I was told that I
> made the person asking the question look too stupid
> to have checked other
> sources first (the poster had not said anything
> about having looked anywhere)
> and that I made the poster look like a pest.  The
> private email accused me
> of toning my message in a "don't bother asking in
> the future" manner.
>
> I'm wondering if I come across wrong when I address
> questions as though the
> poster is looking for not only the specific answer,
> but perhaps trying to
> learn something.  Should we who reply to questions
> keep our answers to
> "yes" and "no" rather than actually trying to
> educate?  Should we discount
> the number of people lurking-to-learn who gain
> useful information with
> references to available sources which will not only
> answer the question at
> hand, but allow people to find answers in the
> future?
>
> If I sound hurt, I am.  I thought folks were on
> these lists to learn, not
> just to have other people do their work for them.
>
> - Teceangl
> --
>           Fill your mouth with toothpaste and quack
> like a duck.

=====
"Everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world." - T.L. Ranger