[ANSTHRLD] Obelisk Herald

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sat Jun 2 20:26:36 PDT 2001

On 4 Jun 01, at 17:55, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:
> > Forgive the newbie ... AG??
>
> AG: Ansteorran Gazette.  What's supposed to be the monthly newsletter
> of the Ansteorran College of Heralds (CoH).

Indeed.  For the new heralds out there, the Gazette is sent out to the
warranted herald of each branch, all the Kingdom-level heralds (deputies
and whatnot), and a few others.  Paid subscriptions can also be had, at the
rate of $12/year ($1/month). For more information, contact the Asterisk
Herald, Griffin ap Rhys at lord_housemythos at hotmail.com (he handles the
money).

The Gazette is pretty useful, and is definitely what got me hooked on
heraldry!  It typically contains:

- letters from various heraldic offices
- an Internal Letter of Intent (ILoI), which lists all the in-Kingdom
submissions for the month
- the Internal Collated Commentary (ICC), and/or Annotated ICC (AICC),
which is all of the commentary received on items in a previous month's ILoI;
the annotations are whether or not the item was accepted or returned in
Kingdom.
- excerpt of the Ansteorran items in Laurel's Letter of Acceptances and
Returns (LoAR), which is a list (and comments) of all items accepted or
returned at the Laurel (SCA-wide) level.
- misc articles on heraldic matters, including names, devices, scribal
things, and whatnot

Besides keeping you informed as to the progress of submissions, at the
very least reading the commentary is one of the best ways to learn book
heraldry.

(This is also a plug and plea for article submissions, on any and all topics
heraldic & scribal!)

-Emma de Fetherstan
Obelisk

--