Court Reporting (was Re: ANSTHRLD - Plenary Meeting at Red Tape)

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Mon Mar 19 15:48:08 PST 2001

Warning, I'm getting on my soapbox.

Despite the insistance of Star that reporting on Courts is the
responsibility of every herald attending court, court reporting
continues to be spotty at best.

As I see it, the problem with this system is that it presumes that a
herald attending court :
a) Is attending court to begin with
b) Has forms with them
c) Has a desire to spend court writting down every award
d) If comfortable approaching their Majesties for a signature
e) Remembers to mail them in to Zodaicus

The fact of the matter is that most heralds did not get involved with
heraldry in order to spend their courts reporting awards.  At every
court, though, there is at least one person who has access to what
awards are being given at least a few minutes before court, and is
guaranteed to be at court... The Court Herald.

Why is it that rather than imposing on the one person with the access
and ability to do a court report we presume upon the time of every
other herald, regardless of their interest in Precedence, instead?

I would propose that the College change it's policy to require the
Court Report to come from the Court Herald(s).  This puts resposibility
where it belongs, and stops the foolish practice of lecturing other
heralds about not reporting when they weren't the one doing Court to
begin with.

Timothy of Glastonbury
PE and Court Herald