ANSTHRLD - Thank you

jon haas johann_hass at mail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:42:27 PST 2001

Thank you for the help.

------Original Message------
From: tmcd at jump.net (Timothy A. McDaniel)
To: heralds at ansteorra.org
Sent: March 23, 2001 12:57:33 AM GMT
Subject: Re: ANSTHRLD - Trying to start

Don Stephen Hawkins / "Chris Backus" <cbackus at peakonline.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that you can justify one part of your mundane
> name as part of your SCA name just by including proof that it is your
> mundane name (photocopy of driver's license?).
>
> I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

Part II of the Rules for Submission are "Compatible Name Content".
II.4 is:

    4.  Legal Names - Elements of the submitter's legal name may be
    used as the corresponding part of a Society name, if such elements
    are not excessively obtrusive and do not violate other sections of
    these rules.

    This allows individuals to register elements of their legal name
    that cannot be documented from period sources.  The allowance is
    only made for the actual legal name, not any variants.  Someone
    whose legal given name is "Ruby" may register "Ruby" as a Society
    given name, but not "Rubie", "Rubyat", or "Rube".  Corresponding
    elements are defined by their type, not solely their position in
    the name.  This means a person with the legal name "Andrew
    Jackson" could use "Jackson" as a surname in his Society name in
    any position where a surname is appropriate, such as "Raymond
    Jackson Turner" or "Raymond Jackson of London", not just as his
    last name element.

So "Jonathan" doesn't help "Johann".  (While I'm here, note that it
has to be corresponding elements: "Timothy McDaniel" does not justify
"David of Timothy" or "John Timothy".  Also, note "not excessively
obtrusive".  Moon Unit Zappa could not register "Moon Unit of London",
or indeed any other name involving "Moon Unit".)

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)
Johann Hass