ANSTHRLD - Name submission

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 28 01:43:45 PST 2001

Pem1968 at aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> A new member would like to register the name Lorene MacArchibald.  She is
> looking for a 16th century scottish name.  I think I can document the last
> name but haven't seen Lorene.  Any suggestions?
>
> In service,
>
> Malcolm MacLean

Hi Malcolm!

I can find nothing on Lorene, Larene, Laurene, or Lorine at the Academy
of St. Gabriel or in my sources.

Black, in the Surnames of Scotland, s.n. Archibald says that it is "a
surname derived from the personal name Archibald, in OE. Arcebald,
Arcenbald, or Ercenbald...There was a Robert Archebalde in 1390 and John
Archibald in 1545...Harrison's explanation of the use of Archibald for
the Gaelic Gillespie is probably correct"'Archibald was adopted by the
Scots as a Lowland equivalent of Gillespie because the -bald was
mistakenly supposed to mean 'hairless', 'shaven', 'servant' and
therefore to be the equivalent to Gael. gille, 'servant,' 'shaven one',
'monk'..." There was no documentation for the by-name MacArchibald so
you might suggest to your client to drop the 'Mac', IMHO.

--
Andrea / Maridonna