ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Heraldry Question

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon Mar 12 11:10:50 PST 2001

>> > My question is;  I can
>> > find documentation for several variant spellings
>> > (such as Sibyl,
>> > Sibylla,Sybyll, Sybylle), but not Sybylla
>> > specifically.  Do you think it
>> > would be possible to register Sybylla as a variant
>> > spelling of Sibylla,
>> > based on the other known variations?  Any assistance
>> > you might be able to
>> > provide would be greatly appreciated.

[snip]

Off the top of my head, my bet is that a <-a> form is a Latinized form of
this name (but I'd need to run down the <-a> examples we have to be
certain).  Latin was often used for documents in England in period (how
common it was depends on the years in question).  So, a woman with a name
like <Sibyl> could have been recorded as  <Sibilla>.  If the <-a> forms are
indeed Latin forms, they would likely not have a "y" in them.

Where did you find documentation for <Sibylla>?  That one would be crucial
to getting you the spelling you want.  The only place I can find it is as a
reference ("Gk Sibylla") in Talan's article that Maridonna cited.  That
does not document that spelling for a specific date, only gives etymology
information.

The spelling <Sybylle> is documented in the parish registers for St.
Mary's, Dymock (excerpts from my article on Dymock are below).  I don't
know how it would have been pronounced in 16th C English, but I know that
an "e" at the end of a word was not silent in Chaucer's time.  It was
pronounced approximately "eh".

Here are some more spellings of this name.

Mari

----------------------------

Mari Elspeth nic Bryan (Kathleen M. O'Brien) "Feminine Given Names in the
Registers of the Church of St. Mary's, Dymock (Gloucestershire, England:
1538-1600/1)" (WWW: 1999)
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/dymock/dym_women.html

under the header Sible:

[the columns represent: spelling, # of occurrences, year of first
occurrence [page of first occurrence]]

Confirmed Variants:
Sibbil   1   1567/8 [28]
Sibble  29   1575 [34]
Sibell   3   1566 [27]
Sibill   7   1551 [16]
Sible   35   1579 [40]
Sibyll   2   1548 [12]
Sybbel   1   1561 [23]
Sybbill  1   1558/9 [21]
Sybble   3   1574 [33]
Sybbyl   1   1561 [23]
Sybbyll  3   1548 [12]
Sybell   1   1569 [30]
Sybill   4   1549 [13]
Syble    3   1549 [13]
Sybyl    1   1561 [23]
Sybyll   9   1540/1 [3]

Probable Variants:
Sibbill  1   1568 [28]
Sibull   1   1561 [23]
Sybylle  1   1539/40 [2]

Mari Elspeth nic Bryan (Kathleen M. O'Brien) "Feminine Given Names in
Chesham, 1538-1600/1" (WWW: 1999)
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/chesham/chesham-feminine.html

Spelling    Year  Date    Page
Sibil       1590  15 Apr   271