Court Reporting (was Re: ANSTHRLD - Plenary Meeting at Red Tape)

Chandranath chandra at plumes.org
Mon Mar 19 16:19:07 PST 2001

Please allow me to add to your list:

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 03:48:08PM -0800, Timothy Rayburn wrote:
> As I see it, the problem with this system is that it presumes that a
> herald attending court :
> a) Is attending court to begin with
> b) Has forms with them
> c) Has a desire to spend court writting down every award
> d) If comfortable approaching their Majesties for a signature
> e) Remembers to mail them in to Zodaicus

f) Can hear everything the herald says and translate it to correct names

To me, f) is ALWAYS a show stopper.  ALWAYS.  I have never in my paltry
two years attended a court where I was not a court herald that I could have
generated a report that would have done more good than harm.

> The fact of the matter is that most heralds did not get involved with
> heraldry in order to spend their courts reporting awards.  At every
> court, though, there is at least one person who has access to what
> awards are being given at least a few minutes before court, and is
> guaranteed to be at court... The Court Herald.

Agreed emphatically.

> Why is it that rather than imposing on the one person with the access
> and ability to do a court report we presume upon the time of every
> other herald, regardless of their interest in Precedence, instead?

Agreed emphatically.

> I would propose that the College change it's policy to require the
> Court Report to come from the Court Herald(s).  This puts resposibility
> where it belongs, and stops the foolish practice of lecturing other
> heralds about not reporting when they weren't the one doing Court to
> begin with.
>
> Timothy of Glastonbury
> PE and Court Herald

Huzzah, Timothy!  Something I'd wished to say but not had the chutzpah
to out with it.

Chandra
PE and occasional Baronial Court Herald

--