ANSTHRLD - conflict check an advice please

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Mar 25 17:57:19 PST 2001

Anézka z Rozmitála / "Kate Rayburn" <anezka at crosswinds.net> wrote:

(Accented characters often don't survive in e-mail.  I suggest Da'ud
notation or Anglicization.)

> It appears to me that the following might be a conflict:
> Pily bendy sinister argent and vert, a rose sable barbed and seeded
> or. -- Aonghus Lochlainn of Loch Fyne (Dec 95)

When you're citing a potential conflict on a mailing list, please give
blazons for both designs.  People often don't have the previous mail
to hand to be able to compare blazons.  Fortunately, I haven't
downloaded mail to home yet (I'm telnetted to my ISP from work), so I
still have the original design:

    becky demonja <wyrdling at swbell.net>
    Would like help with conflict check an advice on a badge idea.
        Pily bendy argent an sable a  heraldic rose sable
    the rose is in the argent upper dexter corner

(By the way: on armory, roses are assumed to be heraldic unless stated
otherwise.  You can have "a garden rose", though they are utterly
unknown in period armory, but it gets no difference from a heraldic
rose.  Just to make sure of position, you can say "in dexter chief a
rose sable", but that's what I'd assume without an explicit
statement.)

Anyway, for
    Pily bendy argent and sable, [in dexter chief] a rose sable.
versus
    Pily bendy sinister argent and vert, a rose sable barbed and
    seeded or. -- Aonghus Lochlainn of Loch Fyne (Dec 95)

> I see one for the field, but I don't believe there is an additional
> one for it being barbed and seeded.

Right.

> I also am assuming that the position of the rose is forced due to
> contrast so you don't get one there either.

Right.  Stated more fully: Aonghus's rose is in the center of the
field, because a sable rose is visible against a part-argent /
part-vert field.  The other design does indeed have a forced change of
position for the rose (sable-on-sable is right out), and indeed we
give no CD for forced change of position.

So there's a conflict.  Thanks for finding it!

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)