ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Name for Amber

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Mar 28 03:26:55 PST 2001

> >Elanor Hope.

> >In "Tudor Costome an Fashion" by Herbert Norris on bottom of page 613 it
> >says "Rauff Hope was 'Yeoman of the Queen's Robes' in 1578"

Let's not trust Norris.  For fashion or for names.

Reaney, P.H. and R.M.Wilson, _A Dictionary of English Surnames_ p. 238 has
Hope as the header spelling and dates Robert de Hope 1255 and Robert del
Hope 1302.  "From Hope (Derby, Salop, NRYorks, etc.) or from residence in
or near raised land in a fen, or a small enclosed valley (OE hop)."

Was the forename a typo?  I can find Alianor, Alianora, Alienor, Alienora,
Eleanor, Eleanora, Elianora, Elianor, Elinor, Elyenora, and Elena, but not
Elanor.

- Teceangl
                  "He washed his mouth and can't do a thing with it."
						     - SJK  8-28-96  04:23