[Heralds] Yet another name question

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 07:22:23 PDT 2001

>Sure.  Anyone is more than welcome to help.  I thought I'd work through the
>standard set of Viking Age art resources and note themes and symbols, then
>do the same looking through Hilda R. Ellis-Davidson's "Myths and Symbols in
>Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions" (Syracuse:
>University
>Press. 1988).

   I have that as well as access to a few others.  Wilson/ Klindt's Viking
Art would probably be in order.  I would be willing to try to do as much
documentation as I can afford on Gothic roman shields/ art and Migration
glyph's.

>I also mean to look through photos of picture stones for depictions of
>Viking shields.  I've seen several that have the field divided in a sort of
>gyronny with curved lines running from the center to the edges, and I'll be
>darned if I know how to describe that in proper heraldic terminology -- for
>example, see the Lillbjärs stone,
>http://www.historiska.se/collections/shm-bild/visa_stor.asp?ID=V42

   These and the Gotland stones have been what I have been trying to base
mine on.  I think the one you are talking about would be a gyronny of 32 or
so. :)

   And
>I'd like to see if I can find any other good info on possible period shield
>designs that might serve as field divisions etc.
>
>::GUNNORA::

godspeed,
Cyniric hlafard