[Heralds] German/Norse name for Destiny

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 09:06:25 PDT 2001

>Meaning mattered more when they started earning nicknames for
>themselves. The closest nickname I can think of off the top of my head
>that means something similar to Destiny is 'Lucky'. Leif the Lucky. I'd
>have to go to my books to find the Old Norse for that. Perhaps your client
>would like to choose a vernerable Old Norse name like Asa and be Asa the
>Lucky or Asa the Unlucky or some such?
>
>Sunnifa

  Leifr inn heppni (off the top of my head); the fem. would be per ex. Asa
ina heppna or such.  I do not agree luck is close enough cultural to
destiny.

   I would argue though that the meaning of names did matter and were
telling of what the parents expected of that child or what one's place in
the culture was.  Yes, ancestry was important too, and no doubt the
grandchild or such was also expected to live up to the virtue of the name.
Rolfr Mostrskeggi eventually became Thórolfr due to his dedication to that
particular God.

Godspeed with respect,
Cyniric