[Heralds] German/Norse name for Destiny

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 06:44:24 PDT 2001

> >   A good number probably were literally understood.  Cyneweard meaning
> > "kin-ward" was probably an expressed hope.
>
>This example is from another culture/language. As close as Old English and
>Old Norse are, they are still far apart enough to differences to arise and
>one shouldn't be used to justify the other. :)

  Not so.  They still have a great deal in common particularly between the
Northern English and the Scandinavians.  In my research, I have found OE and
its culture maintain many similarities with Old Norse.  They did not
significantly diverge into separate tongues until about 550 and perhaps
sometime later.  At any rate, they were not so totally different and still
are "Germanic" cultures and tongues.  So they are relevant.  Technically Old
English and Frisian are called in linguistic circles. at least the one I
read and talk with, as Northwestern Germanic because the hold elements of
both groups.
   One of the clergy's complaints of the Northumbrians in the Danelaw is
there religios practice was not pure enough (the seem to have liked those
weird things called folk festivals) and they looked to much like the heathen
who invaded.  One must remember, the Wuffinga dynasty of east Anglia was
founded by Swedes and maintained that connection up until the Danelaw in art
and culture.  There were connections like these which allowed for a more
heroic view of the Geats and Danes for the basis of Beowulf.  Also remember
the Anglii specifically came from the Angeln district in Southwestern
Danemark and Northern Germany.
   Despite what the later Wessex folk may have felt and written in their
late period the average English person would have had more in common with
the Scandinavians than the Continental powers like the Franks.

>'Asa' also means 'goddess'

  I am not being a bastard but it also mean " of the Gods" in this context
much like the byname for Thor "Asa-Thor".

and is an actual woman's name, used in

Just as a man named Bjornr was not considered to be an
>actual bear, and may in fact not have a single bear-like quality to
>him.

  I have being using intention and hope a great deal and I hope that has not
been lost on people.  It is a parents intent in the meaning of the name.  I
am actually Heathen myself, not to make issue of it so bear with me, and
when I named my son, I picked Richard Heinrich Culver.  Richard is not all
my name but my grandfather's and also means "rule-hard/strong".  I want
Richard to grow to control his own life.  Heinrich means "world-ruler".  I
want him to grow to be in charge of his world (werold="man's age or time").
It is my intent in his names.  Now he may grow to have no spine and be
bossed around all his life, but the intent is literal within the cultural
metaphors I use.

Godspeed,
Cyniric