[Heralds] Correct formation of Old Norse Patronymics (S or SS)

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 12:28:59 PDT 2001

Borek <borekvv at hotmail.com> asked about the proper formation of a patronymic
using "Rolf".

Normally in Old Norse you'd see the name as Hrólfr, the possesive as Hrólfs,
and the patronymic as Hrólfsson.

In forms where it has lost the initial H, I expect the formation of the
genitive and patronymic to be the same -- Rolf, Rolfs, Rolfsson.

I think where you were getting confused is in nominative forms such as
Vigfuss that start out with "SS" as an ending.  Here the pattern is:
nominative=Vigfuss, genitive=Vigfuss, patronymic=Vigfusson.

::GUNNORA::