[Heralds] Re: ANSTHRLD - To Close a position

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 14:25:46 PDT 2001

. Like currently I have a shire member
>looking for a Germanic or Norse form of Destiny....I have not been able to
>find anything.

   That will be hard as the Germanic people as a whole really did not
believe in destiny.  It would imply an assumption of the concept of the
definite future.  The Germanic languages only had past and present.  The
closest some might say is "it was wyrded", the concept of Wyrd or Urdhr as
"destiny" or "predestiny" is late and in mostly christian texts.  In
addition to that, most names would have two elements to their structure (ex:
Cyni- "kin/of the kin", -ric "ruling/ruler/strong").  In Old English, we do
have reduced forms which appear to be nicknames or diminuitives of the
two-element name (ex: Bubba is short for something in OE).

Godspeed,
Cyniric