[Heralds] German/Norse name for Destiny

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 06:19:04 PDT 2001

>Excuse me?  I hope you aren't trying to imply that Sunnifa and her
>sources were representing "unstudied" opinions.

   Not at all.  If you look at the construction of my sentence, I put it as
aside intentionally to avoid that thought.  I have enjoyed this thread.  I
am just expressing my years of research because I think I have a decent
opinion and backround, though I know my Old Norse is rusty right now.

  It is the
>well-researched, studied opinion of the majority of long-time
>onomasticians that the view you're advocating is pretty much wrong as to
>given names.  Names used in the naming pool were just names--that's
>pretty much the point.  To quote the Academy of S. Gabriel:
>
>Choosing a name by its meaning is a minefield. Most names derive from
>very ancient roots which had no apparent meaning to anyone by the Middle
>Ages. Consider the name <Thomas>, for example. It derives from an
>Aramaic      root that meant "twin", but one would hardly expect a man
>named <Thomas> today to be a twin.

   I am sorry but this is outside of the context of the thread.  Thomas has
significance of being a Biblical name which is why it came about.  In
Germanic culture as a whole, names are not so loaded, particularly in any
area and time NOT exposed to or at least dominated by the Church.

>Bynames, on the other hand, may or may not have been used literally: the
>tall, the blond, the fisherman...whatever.  Some may have been used
>satirically, like the nickname "Curly" often used for a bald man earlier
>this century.

  I have never doubted the sense of humour of nicknames.  Most of my train
of though had been to proper names.

Godspeed,
Cyniric