[Heralds] German/Norse name for Destiny

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 11:52:36 PDT 2001

>Note: I was quoting the Academy of S.Gabriel--that's the consensus opinion
>of the crowd there.

I've had 'em get up my nose about the fact that I do provide etymology info
on names.  Thing is, we're *not* Viking parents who, due to social and
religious systems are going to have to name the baby after dear, deceased
uncle Edvardr.  We're choosing new names as adults, and because it is an
adult decision, people do care.

I just point wordlessly at President Shrub and all the "bush" jokes for
whether or not people "notice" the meanings of names...

I wasn't trying to jump on you, tho, just expressing an extremely opposite
opinion.  I think name meaning has to matter to a lot of SCA folks - and if
it isn't meaning, then "how it sounds" is the big issue.  How names were
actually selected and given in the Viking Age is a matter for persona play,
not for semi-official pronouncements from those closely allied to the
official CoH structure.

::GUNNORA::

Who is planning to come down and watch your bead class.  I may even haul out
my torch head and glass and play, too.

::G::