[Heralds] Yet another name question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon May 7 12:12:45 PDT 2001

Bridgid / "PoetLover" <poetlover at spdway.net> wrote:
> [someone else wrote:]
> > This specific shield is cut into eight sections.  I *think* it's a
> > gyronny, but I don't have a clue how to describe it when the
> > sections curve rather than using straight lines.
>
> It seems to me that I have seen this as gyronny wavy in some
> heraldic book somewhere. But I am not sure.

The description quoted above is ambigious.  If it's a smooth curve
(like a stylize toilet bowl), as seen at
    http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/groups/risingwaters.html
then it's "gyronny arrondi".  With more undulations per line, as seen
slightly obscured at
    http://home.earthlink.net/~lyleandheathergray/2000-03/Image124.gif
or
    http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/herald/LoI/LoI-1998-08/suley.gif