[ANSTHRLD] second request for help

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Tue Nov 13 14:59:26 PST 2001

>I asked last week and have not heard anything yet, so i am asking again.
>can anyone help out with this name? he does not seem to be happy with any
>of the alternatives I have offered so far.
>

>> Trian Caoimhe
>>
>> Trian is easily documented from  "100 Most Popular Men's Names in Early
>> Medieval Ireland" compiled by Heather Rose Jones  (Tangwystyl)
>>
>> I have not been able to find Caoimhe however..
>> Woulfe lists Caoimgin p174  and O'Caoimin p451
>> OC&M under Caemgen p 41  lists Caoimhin
>>
>> can anyone help getting the spelling the submitter wants

I can't really give advice - either positive or negative.  (Standard policy
for folks holding a sovereign of arms office.  I'm also precious short of
research time for some reason... *grin*)

But I can give you some places to start.  It looks like you've already done
some good footwork.

You say he wants Caoimhe.  Has the submitter told you where he got it or
what he thinks it means?  Something like that could give you a clue of
which direction to go next.

Also, depending on what his answer is, you may want to use the article
"Quick and Easy Gaelic Names" at

http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

to help construct the name.

Hope this helps some.