[ANSTHRLD] Gaelic questions from TRF

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 07:37:45 PST 2001

>Trian Caoimhe
>
>Trian is easily documented from  "100 Most Popular Men's Names in Early
>Medieval Ireland" compiled by Heather Rose Jones  (Tangwystyl)
>
>I have not been able to find Caoimhe however..
>Woulfe lists Caoimgin p174  and O'Caoimin p451
>OC&M under Caemgen p 41  lists Caoimhin
>
>can anyone help getting the spelling the submitter wants
This name has shown several problems. Trian is not one of them.
First with Caoimhe: OCM lists Caoimh{i'}n as a man's name.
The problem is it is after the colon, which indicates it
is a modern form not registerable in the SCA.  The ao
looks modern and in period was spelled ae.
Hanks & Hodges (that evil arcane volume on the shelf next
to the Necronomicon) lists the spelling Caoimhe as a
modern Gaelic female name.  Hanks & Hodges may be thick
as a brick on historical names but if it says modern then
the name is modern.  An internet search turned up many
examples of usage that agree with this.
The spellings given in Woulfe also look modern based
on what OCM has.

The second problem with the name is it consists of
two given names and is not registerable without a byname.
Unmarked patronymics aren't registerable in Gaelic so
that won't work either.

So where does that leave things.
Trian mac C{a'}emgen or mac C{a'}em{a'}n should be
registerable and period if I can find the genitive
case for them.  The first name is pronounced ki-vin
with all vowels long and the second ke-van with
all vowels long.  They are close to Kevin but in
a pre-1200 spelling to match Trian's documentation.

So, I don't think the spelling of the last name would
be registerable since we know for certain it is modern.
Couldn't find any other back door that this name might
get in either.

Now you see why this one took a lot of looking.

Magnus