[ANSTHRLD] A few points and questions in Old English

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Oct 7 16:47:51 PDT 2001

>    Okay I am researching a name for someone: Iohanna aet Eoforwicscire.
> Searle's _Onomasticon Anglo-Saxonicum_ has Iohanna listed on p.319 at c. 995
> AD.  Do I need to photo copy this or is this one of those you just need to
> refer to the heading and page number when submitting (not that I am the one
> doing the actual herald work for it).

The no-photocopy list is Appendix H of the Administrative Handbook, which
is online at  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html
ONLY sources on this list may stand without photocopies.  All others
require copies.

A sidenote I'm spreading around as the opportunity presents itself, by the
way, is that the draft revision of the Admin Handbook (due to be released
on the public sometime soon) now requires that *all name elements* be
documented.
Since it's not released, stuff in submission is fine, but it's something
we should probably all get the jump on while we have the chance.  I've
started guiding submitters to documenting the simple stuff, like "John",
just to get everyone into the habit, and there's this wonderful side
effect that once someone documents something that easy they're less
reluctant to tackle the more interesting parts of their name and
sometimes even find other possiblities they hadn't considered before.

- Teceangl
--
   She's putting her whole life story on her damn shield, but there's
      nothing we can to about it. (HB, 7 Mar 71 , p. 10)