[ANSTHRLD] Heraldry question flashback: Audette des Grenouilles

Ray Smith rayasmith at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 15:13:46 PST 2001

Greetings, all.
A couple of months ago, I asked on behalf of a client
about the viability of the name "Audette des
Grenuilles".
I passed along the info I got from you all, and she
has another question about the name that I'm not sure
about - to wit, if "Audette des Grenouilles" is legal
and/or documentable as a byname (for example Marie
Audette des Grenouilles or somesuch).

Thanks
Andre

--- Audette des Grenouilles <audette at sapheron.org>
wrote:
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:48:58 -0700 (MST)
> From: Audette des Grenouilles <audette at sapheron.org>
> To: Ray Smith <rayasmith at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Bryn-gwlad] Yule help, right?
>

> Hrm.  Would it be possible to use all of audette des
> grenouilles as a
> surname, and just choose another name as a given
> name?  It might at least
> be registerable like that, though I'd still go by
> audette...
>
> Just a thought... :)  I really have no idea how
> these all work.
>
> Audette
>

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Ray Smith wrote:
>
> > Basically, the name "des Grenouilles" is
> (surprisingly
> > enough, to me anyway) the easier of the two.
> > According to Magnus (one of the more knowledge
> heralds
> > on the heralds' list), "Morlet, Des Noms de
> Famille,
> > has Grenouilles as a family name. It is probably
> in in
> > Dauzat as well "
> > "Audette" he could only find as a surname, never
> as a
> > given name (although from my own digging I found
> it
> > registered as "Odette" if that interests you.  It
> is
> > probably a place-name, which is generally not
> usable
> > as a given name (although some obscure cultures
> might
> > be different).
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Andre

=====
"Everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world." - T.L. Ranger