[ANSTHRLD] Sea Unicorn

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 08:17:01 PDT 2001

The submitter is fortunate that consultations are being done since this has
a several causes for return.

Per pall inverted nebuly purpure, vert, and
azure, a sea-unicorn argent.

Conflict with Eilonwy Andereth August of 1979:
"Azure, a sea unicorn rampant reguardant argent."
That should be a Heraldicon submission.
Turning the monster contourny would run into this one.
Nicorlynn of Caer Wydyr January of 1973:
"Azure, a sea-unicorn reversed argent, the tail Or."
I doubt there is a CD any longer between a sea horse and a sea unicorn.
This introduces a very large number of conflicts.
"[A winged seahorse argent] This conflicts Jocelyn Douglas of Fairfax
Purpure, a winged sea unicorn erect, wings addorsed argent, within a bordure
Or., and Andrew MacBain the Purple Purpure, a winged seaunicorn between in
fess two rapiers argent., with just one CD in each case for removing the
secondary group. While a horse is a CD from a unicorn, the addition of wings
and fish tail to each creates an overwhelming similarity with which the
remaining details of the horn and beard cannot compete. (Jaelle of Armida,
LoAR February 1998, p. 19)"

>1)  I don't believe that there is a rules problem with a pall with a
>complex line of division.
A pall division can use a complex line but usually with field only armory.

>2)  I don't believe that there is a problem in a per pall (inverted or not)
>division that uses this color scheme.
One of the divisions must be a metal if you have 2 colors.
This would get it returned.
Under Armorial Contrast VIII.2.b.v. Elements evenly divided in three
tinctures must have good contrast between two of their parts.

>3)  The major question then is can you have a per pall type division with a
>complex line of division with this color scheme?
Only a problem if sable was one of the colors.  That, at least, is not a
concern here.
"There is insufficient contrast between purpure and sable to use a complex
line of division such as urdy to separate them. It becomes unidentifiable.
(Jaelle of Armida, LoAR January 1999, p. 14)"
"We no longer allow combining azure and sable with a complex line of
division. (Jaelle of Armida, LoAR September 1997, p. 24)"

>4)  Can the primary charge overlie the complex line of division in this
>manner?
No, this would get returned.  Since the charge would overlie at least 2
colors these precedents would affect it.
[Per bend sinister wavy purpure and azure, an orle argent] This is being
returned for violating Rule VIII.3. Two color fields with a complex line of
partition should not have the partition obscured by charges. (Jaelle of
Armida, LoAR April 1997, p. 25)
[Per fess indented vert and sable, a laurel wreath Or] If this is a per fess
field, this has a charge overlying a complex line of division, when the
field is divided into two pieces of the same tincture class. This greatly
reduces recognizability. (Jaelle of Armida, LoAR May 1997, p. 9)

The client is very lucky to have a local herald who will research
the submission and avoid many return problems.

Magnus von Lubeck