[ANSTHRLD] Bonwicke Order Badge

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Mon Sep 24 18:06:13 PDT 2001

relevant commentary.  Because of the type of items discussed I have
included the blazons with Daniel's commentary.

>  > #1 - (Fieldless)  A Latin cross patonce sable, overall a square flag
>  > Per pale Or and gules, a pale indented counterchanged.
>By Bruce's precedent as extended by later Laurels, overall charges can
>be used on fieldless badges only when the area of intersection is
>small.

As a flag or delf or billet would be larger than the general arms of
the cross underneath, it falls afoul of this.  What if it had an
argent background?  Would the gold portions of the flag run afoul of
metal over metal?  Also, does this fall afoul of the quarternary
charge limit you refer to later?

Concerning flags referred to here and later...  HL Kainin would have
to specify exact shape.  In my mind I see either a square (delf) or a
billet in the default position (palewise).  In item 1, there is no
staff.

>  > #2 - (Fieldless)  On a cross nowy sable, a roundel Per pale Or and
>  > gules, a pale indented counterchanged.
>That blazon is not valid.
>You presumably meant
>     (Fieldless)  On a cross nowy sable, a roundel per pale Or and
>     gules charged with a pale indented counterchanged.

I believe that your blazon has a correct image.  To be specific, per
notes earlier on the list, if the cross nowy is the one which
includes a roundel shape where the arms meet, then the intended
visual was to place the roundel on the conjoining location of the
arms of the cross.  However, the four layer limit would be an
instaboing on this.

What about:  (Fieldless) On a latin cross patonce per pale indented
Or and gules a pale counterchanged.  Would the pale run afoul of the
rules mentioned in item 1 above?

Also:  (Fieldless) A latin cross patonce per pale indented Or and gules.

Neither of the above have been conflict checked.

>  > #3 - Per pale Or and gules, a pale indented counterchanged, overall
>  > a Latinate cross patonce sable.
>"Latin cross".  I see no cause for return.  I wonder how well it would
>look emblazoned.

Not bad.  "Latin" noted.  They really like the patonce on the end of
the arms so that is a desired element.

>  > #4 - (Fieldless) A Latin cross patonce sable, dependent from the
>>  dexter and sinister arms two square flags Per pale Or and gules, a
>  > pale indented counterchanged.
>See above for Capitalization, flags, and blazon ("... two delfs, each
>delf per pale ...", probably).  This may be registerable, but I don't
>remember ever seeing anything like it, in period or in the SCA.

Agreed.  This was the last option for Bonwicke.  I have only seen
something like this in full achievements where you have all kinds of
things hanging on stuff.  "Delfs" noted.

Etienne