[ANSTHRLD] September comments

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu Sep 27 10:54:30 PDT 2001

>> The appeal maintains that there is no conflict with Aislynn Crystyn due to
>> Da'ud's April 1996 precendent.  Ashlin differs in pronounciation from
>> Aislynn.
>
>What?  "Aislynn" is Gaelic.  "s" is pronounced like English "sh", and I
>believe that "ai" is close to "a" in this case.  That makes it
>"Ashlin".

Actually, there is no "y" in Gaelic.  So <Aislynn> can't be Gaelic (with
our knowledge today - who knows about what it was viewed as years ago).  In
reality, it is likely an modern Anglicized form of <Aislinn> which the
Problem Name article covers.  Otherwise what you've said above is basically
correct.

There's are some fairly common misperceptions about spelling in Gaelic
because of some of the modern pseudo-Gaelic spellings that have cropped up
("Kiara" comes to mind).

Gaelic has only 18 letters.  There are no J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y, and Z.  On
rare occasions, some of these letters show up in period documents when the
authors are trying to render non-Gaelic words.  "King of the Saxons"
sometimes comes through as "ri/ Saxan".  (It's the reverse of the process
that gave us the Anglicized "Slany" for the Gaelic "Slai/ne".)

FYI, if anyone's been wondering why I'm fairly quiet on the list it's
because I don't want folks to see general information I might pass on and
mistakently interpret it as a ruling or a Pelican Queen of Arms opinion.
(Being careful of this possibility is a valuable recommendation passed on
to me by multiple predecessors.)  Anything I say on this list is definitely
unrelated to The Job and should not be considered an opinion.  Period.  The
Pelican QoA tabard gets shelved when I get on the list.  If we hit a point
where there's a question that I can answer but it looks like no one else on
the list has posted the needed info, I'll try to do that as I'm able.

Mari