[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Sep 29 04:20:04 PDT 2001

> Sable on a bezant a phoenix sable, a dexter tierce dovetailed Or.
> or
> Sable on a bezant a phoenix azure, a dexter tierce dovetailed Or.
>
> I checked sable with a roundel:or, and sable with a tierce.
>
> The closest I can find to a conflict is the Shire of Castillo de los Lobos,
> "Sable, on a bezant within a laurel wreath Or, a wolf rampant gules, a chief
> dovetailed Or.
>
> What's on the bezant is different in type and color, but I'm not sure if
> that counts as 1 CD or 2.  If I'm not mistaken, there's no CD for a laurel
> wreath, and is there a CD between a chief dovetailed Or and a tierce
> dovetailed Or?  I would think so, but just want to be sure.

X.4.j. says that making two or more changes to charges on other charges
is a CD.  It also says that no matter what you do to charges on other
charges, the maximum you can get is one CD.  So it's a CD.

X.4.b. says adding or removing a charge group which lies directly on the
field is a CD.  So one CD for removing the laurel wreath.  (The average
herald would do well to ignore that X.3. exists unless there's no other
conceivable way of clearing one piece of branch armory from another piece
of branch armory, then the average herald would do well to get a senior
herald to help him intrepret X.3.)

X.4.e. says there's a CD for significantly changing the type of any group
of charges which lies directly on the field.  It goes on to say that the
edge partition of a charge is part of its type.  So there is a CD for
changing type from chief to tierce, but complex lines don't matter.

Remember, the RfS are there to be used.  Every time you conflict check
you should have them by your hand and apply them in order, as a checklist.
Make sure you check the style sections (VII, VIII and IX) also.  Many
fatalaties in submission occur because nobody checked to see if something
was legal before they conflict checked it.  The most senior heralds of
my acquaintance, including a former Laurel and the current Armory Queen
of Arms, use the RfS when conflict checking.  There is no shame in
counting CDs on your fingers or in chasing down once again whether flaunches
are peripheral ordinaries or not.

> PS - why is Or capitalized?  I was told that it was to avoid confusing it
> with the word "or".  How can you possibly use the word "or" in a blazon???

You can't, but it's a practice I *really* appreciate in general text
discussion, either online or in commentary.  Look at the following two
sentences, which are the same:

Is that oar or or argent?

Is that oar Or or argent?

See how your eyes can cross if Or isn't capitalized in this case?  At least
mine do, big time.  And that's a sentence pulled straight out of commentary
from awhile back.

- Teceangl
--
   She's putting her whole life story on her damn shield, but there's
      nothing we can to about it. (HB, 7 Mar 71 , p. 10)