[ANSTHRLD] Order of the Keepers of the Cross of Bonwicke - Baronial Service Award

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Sep 10 23:01:22 PDT 2001

Cahira asked:
> in addition, is there a way to register the device if it's as
> described previously, with one exception: leave off the laurel
> leaves?

Laurel wreaths.  Laurel leaves alone are OK.  A laurel wreath without
leaves is unregisterable; I dimly recall that there was an old return
of a banana slug vorant of a laurel wreath, and a later attempt by the
same group with the slug "eyeing speculatively a laurel wreath in
canton".  Can't find the thing, tho.

Anyway.  The Rules for Submission's new XI.4 says

    4. Arms of Pretense and Augmentations of Honor - Armory that uses
     charges in such a way as to appear to be arms of pretense or an
     unearned augmentation of honor is considered presumptuous.

     Period and modern heraldic practice asserts a claim to land or
     property by surmounting an individual's usual armory with a
     display of armory associated with that claim.  Such arms of
     pretense are placed on an escutcheon.  Similarly, an augmentation
     of honor often, though not necessarily, takes the form of an
     independent coat placed on an escutcheon or canton.  Generally,
     therefore, a canton or a single escutcheon may only be used if it
     is both uncharged and of a single tincture.  For example,
     "Argent, a fess gules surmounted by an escutcheon sable charged
     with a roundel argent" has the appearance of being arms of
     pretense or an augmentation.  "Or, in saltire five escutcheons
     sable each charged with three roundels argent" does not have this
     appearance, as it has multiple escutcheons, as so is acceptable.
     The exception to the restrictions of this rule is when the
     submitter is entitled to an augmentation as described in RfS
     VIII.7, Augmentations of Honor.

The new VIII.7 defines an augmentation as

    7. Augmentations of Honor  - An augmentation of honor must be
     compatible with period armorial style.

     An augmentation is an honor bestowed by the crown, taking the
     form of an addition or alteration to the honoree's device.  While
     the right to an augmentation is bestowed by the crown, its form
     is subject to the normal registration process.

Note: "device", not "badge".

You could do something like a cross with, say, overall on the ends of
each arms 4 escutcheons of Bonwicke without laurel wreaths ("Per pale
Or and gules, a pale indented counterchanged").  In terms of period
practice, I would characterize such a badge as "a dog's breakfast".

Daniel "A few lines down from Bonwicke in the Armorial is Boo H{o/}g,
reg. 11/97.  Oddly enough, his device has a bend sinister, two
dragons, and a bordure.  Nary a porker in sight  *sigh*" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)