[ANSTHRLD] Award dimensions

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 15:32:51 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/20/2001 4:42:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org writes:

Could someone, if it exists, point me to a resource that would list these,
and for other insiginate awards?

I have a used-and-abused hardcopy which, I discover to my surprise, has a
date (7/13/01) but no name or contact.  That was the date of Kingdom Heraldic
and Scribal Symposium - - - - HEY!  Hillary!  You gave me this; do you
remember whose class it came from?  Maybe we can get it posted.

Meantime, for woven ribbons it suggests Stars of Merit be 20" long, Centurian
for 18", Iris at 24-30".  (Why should a Centurian's ribbon be shorter?  Some
of them have to fit around really beefy calves and upper arms!!)  Width shown
for Iris only, at 1".  Most of the Irises I've seen are wider - more like
1.5" -- but 1" is about right for Star and Centurian ribbons.  Irises have no
D-rings; Stars and Centurians should get 2 light-weight ones, IMNSHO, at the
end opposite the star.  Trying to do a squire's knot through 1 D-ring above
one's own left elbow can lead one to
1) swear
2) just tie any old knot and deal with constant slippage
3) forget about wearing it
4) add another D-ring and/or sew a safety pin to the thing
5) work for a higher award so you're justified in doing #3

Kathri