[ANSTHRLD] Name help: Wilhelm da Kaalovo

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 07:45:29 PDT 2001

Rosamund Blaunchflur asked:
>Any stunt onamasticians available today?
>A gentleman in our barony has been using the name Wilhelm da Kaalovo for
>ages.  He now has arms he wants to register, so he needs to tweak the name
>into a registrable form.  Either Wilhelm or William is acceptable for the
>given name, although Wilhelm is preferable.  The surname is a made-up
>locative, but anything with a similar sound would be acceptable.  He
>pronounces it "duh KAY-luh-vuh"  The submittor has no preferences as to
>language/culture.

I went ahead and tried to see if one could make a Norse name out of this,
and had mixed success...

Vilhjálmr - Found in Old Danish as Wilhelm, in Old Swedish as Vilhelm, and
in Old West Norse as Vilhjálmr.  Originally a West Germanic name.  Appears
in a runic inscription in the nominative form uilhialmr. (NR)

Kylfa - masculine name,from Old West Norse kylfa, "club". Found also in Old
Swedish as the by-name Kylva.  Appears in a runic inscription in the
nominative form kulua. (NR)

Dala- prefixed by-name, "from the Dales" (VBL)

í Koelingi, locative by-name "of Koelingi, of Körlinge" refers to  Körlinge,
a farm in Össeby-Garns parish, Vallentuna hundred (county), Uppland, Sweden.
  Found in a runic inscription in the dative form kuliki. (NR, BV)

Using the info above, I can come up with:

Vilhjálmr Kylfuson
Vilhelm Kylvuson
Vilhjálmr Dala-Kylfuson
Vilhelm Dala-Kylvuson
Vilhjálmr í Koelingi
Vilhelm í Koelingi

None of these is exactly the phonetical equivalent of his current made-up
locative, but maybe one will appeal to him.

Refs:

NR = Lena Peterson.  Nordisk runnamnslexikon. (Dictionary of Names from Old
Norse Runic Inscriptions).   Språk- och folkminnes-institutet  (Institute
for Dialectology, Onomastics and Folklore Research).  http:
grimnir.dal.lu.se runlex index.htm  Accessed 15 August 2001.

VBL = Viking Bynames found in the Landnámabók
by Aryanhwy merch Catmael (Sara L. Friedemann)
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~sfriedemann/names/vikbynames.htm

BV = The Bynames of the Viking Age Runic Inscriptions
by Lindorm Eriksson
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/lindorm/runicbynames/

::GUNNORA::