[ANSTHRLD] name check

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 27 19:59:34 PDT 2001

Leslie Rose wrote:

> Thanks Griffin,  for all your help.  You're services will be missed.
>
> Oh, by the way, how do I document something like that?
>
> Catarina

Hi Catarina,

I cannot find anything on <Rosalyn>.  Withycombe doesn't mention
Rosalyn, nor does Talan's article Feminine Names from Reaney and Wilson
nor other articles at the SCA heraldry site or Academy site.
Hopefully others can find documentation. for <Rosalyn>.

St. Gabriel Report 2269 gives a bit of information on the name *similar*
to Rosalyn:
<Rosalinda> is a form of <Rosalind>, a late period English name probably
derived from the Old German name <Roslindis> [1].  The fact that its
roots
are Germanic does not mean that the name is more likely in Germany.  We
have found no evidence of any form of <Rosalind> in use in Germany
during
your period, and since your byname is clearly English, we'll focus our
efforts on that naming pool.

We find <Roslindis> recorded in France in the 9th-10th centuries [2],
but
we have no citations of the name in England.  The first example of any
form
of the name that we find in England is in a poem by Edmund Spenser,
published in 1579 [3].  It was later used by Shakespeare in "As You Like
It" (published 1599) and probably became popular as a result of the
popularity of the play [1].  We do not believe that any form of the name
was used in England during your period, and accordingly we recommend
that
you choose another name.