[ANSTHRLD] badge help

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Tue Feb 12 00:15:06 PST 2002

Unto Lord Seanán mac Tighearnáin, from His Lordship Brendan Pilgrim,
greeting.

     With due regard, my Lord, I commend myself to you.  Though you may want
to wait for the opinion of a Real Herald (TM), I don't see any
smack-me-in-the-face bar to registration.  I'd blazon it:

Per fess embattled gules and azure, a pile inverted issuant from the line of
division Or.

     A field divided party of two (or four) can be of two colors (or two
metals); some combinations of colors don't have enough contrast for a
complex line of division, but red and blue contrast nicely.  Since the pile
is issuant from the fess line, it doesn't obscure that it's a complex line.
I freely admit that I'm still learning, though, so may I ask why you do not
believe this to be registerable as it is?

     OK: The above was written based just on the badge itself, and my
understanding of the Rules of Submission.  Now I'm going to try
conflict-checking it. . . .

Falan Silverhawk, July 1983 (via the West):
Per fess embattled gules and azure, three hawks' heads erased to sinister
argent.

Harekr Haraldsson, September 1995 (via the East):
Per fess embattled gules and azure, two Thor's hammers and a drakkar Or sail
set paly gules and argent.

     These are both X.2 simple, as is the proposed badge, so it's clear by
change of all primary charges.

Aldric of the Northmark, August 1986 (via the Middle):
Per fess engrailed gules and azure, a demi-sun issuant from the line of
division Or, surmounted by a sword bendwise sinister inverted proper, in
dexter chief an estoile of eight rays argent.

     The surmounting sword is either overall or a third charge directly on
the field (I _think_), so this one isn't X.2 simple.
1 CD for engrailed vs. embattled
1 CD for pile inverted vs. demi-sun
1 CD for the addition of the estoile
Clear.

Konstanza von Brunnenburg, June 1996 (via the West):
Per fess gules and azure, a dance flory Or.

     This is also X.2 simple, but even if it weren't:
1 CD for plain line vs. embattled line of division
1 CD for change of primary charge
1 CD for unforced move of primary charge
Clear.

Niall Muineachan, October 1984 (via the Middle):
Per fess wavy gules and barry wavy argent and azure, in chief a sun in his
splendour Or.

     Again, X.2 simple, but if it weren't:
1 CD for wavy vs. embattled
1 CD for changing the tincture of half the filed (azure vs. barry wavy
argent and azure)
1 CD for change of primary charge
Clear.

     Those were as close as I was finding, so I think this badge has a good
chance.

     Attention Real Heralds (TM)!  If I am leading this good gentle astray,
please let him -- and me -- know.  I'm most concerned about my
conflict-checking, but if I'm missing something obvious about the badge
itself I need to learn that too.  (Artemisia's Goldenwing Herald took her
clue-by-four to Estrella with her, so feel free to use your own on me if
required.)

Your honours in dutie.

Brendan Pilgrim
http://come.to/your.pilgrim