[ANSTHRLD] Rising Star

tmcd@jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Tue Jan 22 09:47:10 PST 2002

Gilli wrote:
> With all the various items, things, both real and mystical, on land,
> in water and in the heavens that we use in heraldry that there
> should be a problem with this.

My opinion doesn't matter in registering or returning things (except
if I should happen to point out a precedent or rule, which you can do
as easily), so I think I can speak out fairly freely.

There's been some research done (finally!) on what period order names
were like.  There needs to be much more work -- there have been
critiques of the original research presented at the last Known World
Heraldic Symposium, pointing out some problems.  However, the shape of
the situation is becoming clearer.

There were a lot of things used in heraldry, true.  However, the way
order names were constructed was very, very much more limited.  Most
order names in period tended to be
- the Order of Saint <name>
- the Order of the <concrete noun>
  e.g.  the Order of the Sword, the Order of the Sash, the Order of
  the Knot, the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Elephant
- the Order of the Golden <concrete noun that could be golden>

There are some exceptions (a few "Order of the <virtue>", for
example), but there's nothing that looks to me like the pattern of
"Rising Star".  There's a few adjectival things ("Defeated Dragon",
but that was in Hungarian in the original, so that's not good support
for an English name), and even one somewhat fanciful name ("The Tower
and The Sword of Valor, Loyalty, and Merit", but even that mentions
virtues (a known pattern) and nouns, just more of them than in other
names).

But that doesn't mean that *anything* goes.  The fact that heralds in
the College of Heralds of England are not required to pay income tax
(true!) doesn't mean that *you're* not required to pay income tax, or
that people don't have to pay customs duties.  Extrapolation from
existing names has to be done carefully.

As for registration, the copy of Corpora I have (before the rewrite,
but I believe it hasn't been changed) reads

    2. Armigerous Awards and Orders. Kingdoms may establish awards and
       orders conferring Awards or Grants of Arms, and the Crown may
       award membership in such orders according to the laws and
       customs of the kingdom. The names and insignia of these awards
       and orders must be ratified by the Laurel Sovereign of Arms.

    3. Other Awards and Orders. Non-armigerous awards and orders may
       be established by a kingdom, principality or barony, according
       to the laws and customs of the kingdom. The names and insignia
       of these awards and orders must be ratified by the Laurel
       Sovereign of Arms.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)