[ANSTHRLD] D'Etcheverry name questions

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Wed Jan 30 18:33:00 PST 2002

Andre asked:
>He and his wife are using the name "D'Etcheverry",
>using the mundane-name allowance (it's her maiden
>name, which is her middle name according to her
>driver's licence).  Is he able to register
>D'Etcheverry using her mundame name allowance (and
>if so, does he need to include something like a
>copy of the marriage licence), or not?

I wouldn't even bother with trying for mundane name allowances.  In 15
minutes of web searching, I'm within 50 years of being able to show it as a
period name--

D'Etcheverry is one form of a name also found as:

Chavarri
Chavary
Chevarie
Cheverie
Chiverie
De Etcheverry
D'Etcheverry
Detcheverry
Echebarri
Echebarria
Echeberria
Etcheverri
Shieverie

It is apparently typical of Basque immigrants when found in North America.

Jeanne Detcheverry - born 1635 in Peyrehorade, France
http://perso.respublica.fr/cdelmas/landes/dat9.htm

Pierre Detcheverry edo Dorre - 1677
http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/euzkadi/Detch.html

Plaisance, Newfoundland 1701 Census
Miguel detcheverry dit bicbar deguetarry
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Heritage/NGB/Cmisc/1701-census.htm

Fortress of Louisbourg Parish Baptism Records for 1755 has:
1755, 11 July -- D'Etcheverry [ Detcheverry ], Bertrand -- G1, Vol. 409,
Registry 1, f. 63
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/louisbourg/genealogy/b_yr1755.html

Given a few more minutes, I can probably push it to before 1600.  I think
with a minimum amount of work we can simply find the documentation and
register it as we would with any other period name.

And, given that I can find it to 1635 right now, if *I* can't find it I'd
ask the Academy of St. Gabriel for help - French and Basque *aren't* my
particular fields of expertise...

::GUNNORA::