[ANSTHRLD] OP UPDATE

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Thu Jan 31 16:54:47 PST 2002

> How many times have you needed to convert from the Julian Calendar
> to SCA calendar and back.

The Julian calendar hasn't been used in Texas and Oklahoma for almost
half a millenium. [1]

While I'm here, I should make some other terminology notes.  Some of
the terms used have long-standing real-world definitions.

- An Order of Precedence is a listing of titles.  For example, the
  UK's general order of male precedence (women have a separate chart!
  Also, there are special exceptions, as for Prince Philip, or special
  cases, as within the House of Lords) is
      The sovereign.
      The Prince of Wales.
      The younger sons of the sovereign.
      Royal dukes (down to grandsons of a sovereign).
      The Archbishop of Canterbury.
      Chancellors.
      The Abp. of York.
      The Prime Minister.
      The Lord President of the Council.

- A Table of Precedence or Roll of Precedence (this terminology is not
  as fixed) is a listing of people using the current Order of Precedence.
  http://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/order_precedence.htm
  explains it:
      A table of precedence is a list of persons established by
      application of the laws of precedence.  It is not equivalent to
      the laws of precedence, and contains less information.  No
      single table of precedence can be regarded as authoritative.
  The British male table of precedence (the current Queen is the only
  one on both) is, at the moment,
      Queen Elizabeth II.
      Prince Philip.
      Prince Charles.
      Prince Andrew.
      Prince Edward.
      Royal dukes [I don't know their names]
      Prince Michael of Kent.
      Dr George Leonard Carey.
      Lord Irvine of Lairg. (and then Mr. Gordon Brown?)
      Dr. David Hope.
      Mr. Tony Blair.
      Mr. Robin Cook.

- "Order of March" is an SCA term.  Since we rarely do marches at
  events, it's not used much any more.  It's a Roll of Precedence
  sorted in decreasing precedence.  In the one march I was involved
  in, we had cards with each person's name and drew up the Order of
  March on the spot using the published Roll of Precedence.

For these terms I'm a strict prescriptionist: I believe that the RP
used to use this terminology, and I see no reason to change the
long-established real-world meanings of these terms.

Daniel de Lincolia

[1] OK, Tadhg Liath and Catherine Balfour and a few thousand others
use the Julian calendar for ecclesiastical purposes, but I really
doubt anyone has ever converted Orthodox Christian feast dates to AS
dates.  This is also leaving aside the astronomer's "Julian date",
which is the number of days since noon on 1 January 4713 BC and
doesn't include a month or year -- invented by Julius Scaliger, BTW,
not Julius Caesar.
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)