[ANSTHRLD] Help with Translations

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Tue Jul 9 21:30:07 PDT 2002

Master Francois wrote:
> I would also recommend that you consider the translation
> of the meaning of the name "Gates Edge" and not just changing
> the language of the two words.

Exactly what I'm trying to do.  I am terribly linguistics "challenged" and
so am just getting started here.  Sort of feeling out the water, so to
speak.  The canton is sort of feeling out whether or not they want to
actually change the name or not.  It's all very "mushy" right now.  Since I
am so deficit in any language other than English, I am hoping that some of
the good folks here might be able to help me out.  I've basically done what
I know how to do...look up the words.  Now I'm hoping somebody might be able
to help me put them into something I can take home to the group that might
actually meet with the college's approval.  Wouldn't do any good to look up
all this stuff and then get told that the original Gate's Edge name wouldn't
get passed if it were tried today and so any "translation" won't be
approved.  Magnus seems to be of this opinion.  He is really interested and
wants to help all he can.  He has asked me for the documentation so he can
help and guess what?  There is nothing in the file on the name!  Lots of
stuff about the device and a letter from Dathi saying the name was approved
in January of 1992...but not a lick of paperwork on the name.  So I've got
another mystery on my hands and will be going to the archives and Asterisk
to see what can be found.

Tally-ho!  To the Hunt!
Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person