[ANSTHRLD] Re: OT: Red Tape (joke)

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Fri Jul 19 12:03:44 PDT 2002

"Bridgid of Kincairn" <bridgid at zamigo.net> wrote:
> I know this is way off topic, but I thought you might get a laugh
> from this.
> [story of an FHA loan, trying to get clear title, tracing back to
> 1803.]

It's a moderately well-circulated legend.
    http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/landgrab.htm
has a discussion, but no citation of an original version (whether true
or false).  They give a 1955 version where it's a reply to an ignorant
buyer.  I have a vague memory that Baron Edwin FitzLLoyd's family had
to trace title to a house back to Texas independence, but fortunately
they were able to stop there.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)