[ANSTHRLD] June Commentary

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Mon Jul 22 21:06:18 PDT 2002

Hello, Estrill.

I had a couple of things.

16) Krag MacYntier (Brad Leah)
-------------------------------
First, St. Gabriel's report #712 is very old, and that should be taken into
account when considering it. The source the info comes from is very good
(Danmarks Gamle Personnavne), however.

I have a problem just on a general level with this name because it's mixing
a very Scandinavian medieval given name with the surname from Scotland.  We
do find names that show a mixture of Celtic-Scandinavian, but invariably in
such a case the names are either both "Nordicized" or "Celticized".  I'd
like this better if the name "Krag" was shown in Scotland, or anywhere in
Britain for that matter, and if a reasonable approximation of what would
happen to such a name in the local dialect were applied.  It's not awful,
but he'd do better to either go for a Danish 14th or 15th century surname,
or else a Scots personal name to go with the MacYntier.

Some ways to make it all Scandinavian and still preserve some of the sound:

Krag Makansson (Geirr Bassi has <Makan> as a Celtic-derived masculine
personal name on p. 13)
Krag Ma'ksson (Geirr Bassi p. 13 again, masculine personal name of <Ma'kr>)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a 14th or 15th century Danish surname
that would come even closer in sound to the desired <MacYntier>.

26) Thuein (Thuein)
-------------------------------
I already sent the info below to Magnus while he was working on this same
item.

The Greek verb thuein means both "to make smoke, to offer sacrifices" and
"to act violently, to run wild", usually to offer a burnt sacrifice or to
sacrifice via fire, specifically using the wood of Callitris quadrivalvis,
the citron.  It is related to thumos, "smoke".  It occurs twice in the
Bible:

kai stemmata epi tous pulônas enegkas sun tois ochlois êthelen thuein (Acts
14:13, "Then the priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought
oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the
people.")

kai tauta legontes molis katepausan tous ochlous tou mê thuein autois (Acts
14:18, "And with these sayings scarce restrained they the people, that they
had not done sacrifice unto them.")

Since it's a verb, I'm not sure how good a place-name it might make.

::GUNNVOR::

Gunnvor silfraharr
Bjornsborg