[ANSTHRLD] (no subject)

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jul 10 13:39:08 PDT 2002

"Bridgid of Kincairn" <bridgid at zamigo.net> wrote:
> I don't remember seeing the original message to this. Why are we
> being bugged by someone claiming to be the second son of the late
> leader of the Democratic Republic of the Congo? (Just did a report
> for a geography class.)

Hm.  Thought that everyone had heard of the 419 scam aka Nigerian
scam.  It's the latest incarnation of the classic Spanish Prisoner
scam.  In 419, you are approached confidentially by someone who has
heard of your great reputation.  They have a sum of money gained
either by licit or illicit means, but they can't get it out of
whatever country without help.  They ask you to help in return for a
hefty fee.  The problem crops up a little down the road, where either
- there's a sudden problem that requires a bribe or payment, and since
  they don't have access to the funds, they ask you to send them the
  money
- they need your bank information to transfer the money to, and
  a power of attorney or similar broad power (that just happens to
  permit withdrawls as well as deposits)

> PS Although "Junior" IMPLIES taking the full name, one can correctly
> structure a name with "junior" or a number (i.e. II, II, IV, etc.)
> without actually taking the full name and only using the first and
> surname.

I don't have Miss Manners to hand, but I believe that, according to
traditional etiquette, you are incorrect.  (And "IV" should be rare,
by the way, because according to traditional etiquette you are
supposed to renumber when someone dies, so there'd have to be three
other people in the same family with the same name.  (Exception:
monarchs keep their number.))

    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)