[ANSTHRLD] Hi,congratulations

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Thu Jul 11 12:46:53 PDT 2002

>At 02:09 PM 7/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>Phhd is the name of the person's computer.  Probably short for PH's
>>HardDrive.  Know any mundane PH's in that area?

If I may, this is an untrue statement in part.  Such headers only tell you the first real internet IP address of the person that is infected.  For dialup users, this is usually a randomly assigned modem IP where they dial in.  For LANs being served with a Proxy Server of some sort, this could be the name of the Proxy box.  For instance, my house has 1 static IP address that is used for all machines in the house for outbound internet traffic.  Any mail sent from any machine in the house appears to come from that address, even though at last count I had at least 5 running computers in the house.

Further, while I understand that this particular virus (Klez and its strains) can be very fustrating, it is not worth getting worked up over.  The infected people will eventually discover the infection themselves because of the performance impact on the machine if nothing else.  The best thing to do is make sure your machine's definitions are up to date, make sure mailing lists you're on are restricted to subscribers only for sending, and continue on with your life.

And above all, if you do find out who these infected individuals are, remember that they are in fact the true victims of this virus.  Alert them politely to the issue, direct them to good virus software (I suggest AVG by www.grisoft.com, its free) and then let them set about correcting the issue.  Do not expect them to feel contrite about sending messages they likely had no idea they were sending ... that was the viruses fault and the fault of those who write them.

Timothy of Glastinbury
Mundanely Tim Rayburn, Lead Programmer, Open Systems Group
Who has been helping people with viruses since Michealangelo hit

--
American Girls and American Guys
We'll always stand up and salute, we'll always recognize