[ANSTHRLD] Primary secondary etc questions

Jennifer Smith jds at valkyrie.randomgang.com
Tue Jun 4 09:37:59 PDT 2002

"Mor ingen Cathail" writes...
>Keywords to look for then would include:
>between (going to secondary)
>on (going to tertiary)
>throughout  -- primary or secondary? and what does the ordinary become?

Typically primary, although it might also be applied to other charges (such as
an overall charge, which is neither primary nor secondary nor tertiary -- it's
just 'overall'.)

'throughout' means the charge is touching all edges of the device blank
(whatever that may be).  For instance, a fess is by definition throughout, so
you don't ever need to say that.  A pile, however, by definition extends to
almost-but-not-quite touch the bottom of the device; a pile throughout would
have its lower point touching.  A chevron throughout is much steeper, with its
top point touching the top of the device.  You get the idea!

>surrounded by (going to secondary) <-- is that one IN anyhting? would it ev=
>en be
>in a blazon?

secondary, yes.  You may not see much of that in new registrations, but you
see all kinds of stuff in older ones.

>conjoined (same level)
>
>what if you have something like "three mullets between three lozenges Or " =
>would
>the mullets be primary and the lozenges secondary?

I would expect so, yes.

>what are some of the other keywords to look for showing a change from prima=
>ry to
>secondary and so forth?

It's too early in the morning for me to go looking. :)  I usually just look
for what is listed first (primary), second (secondary), and so on, and pick up
the prepositions as I go.

-Emma de Fetherstan

--
Jennifer Smith