[ANSTHRLD] Cinaed O' Hosey

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Wed Jun 5 00:12:12 PDT 2002

The name is mixed Gaelic and Anglicized Gaelic.

Cináed - OCM, Irish Names page 52 header Cináed
gives Cináed from 724 to 975 - Middle Irish.
Cionaodh is a post-1200 spelling - Modern Irish.

Names and Naming Practices in the Red Book of Ormond (Ireland 14th
Century) by Heather Rose Jones
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/lateirish/ormond-given.html#Given
Modern       manuscript form
Cionaodh     Kynnath 1; Irish context.

Woulfe page 568 header O' hEodhasa gives the Gaelic form of the
name from the 16th to the beginning of the 17th century.
An Anglicised form of O Hosey is also dated from the reign
of Elizabeth I to James I.

Black says Hoseason
a corruption of Aassieson, son of Aassi, a form of Oswald.
This might be the source of the Oswald thing.

Cináed O Hosey
mixes Gaelic and English forms for one wierdness.
At least 300 to 500 year temporal gap between the names.
Might go bouncey like little rubber ball.
At least I would recommend it get returned.

Cionaodh O Hosey
Mixes Gaelic and English forms for one wierdness.
Both names are late period.

Cionaodh O' hEodhasa
Late period pure Gaelic form.

Kynnath O Hosey
Late period English form of name.

I can't find O' hEodhasa in an early form.

It's Gaelic so please allow changes and don't
request authenticity.  Many have been bitten on
the posterior by Gaelic names when they
weren't looking.

Magnus