[ANSTHRLD] Lion question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Jun 9 11:36:36 PDT 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Will Manning <eirineach at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a client who asked me about this device for himself, Or, a
> celtic lion sable.

You didn't mention a posture for the lion.  Is it supposed to be the
default posture for lions, "rampant"?

What is a "celtic lion"?  Lions are not notable for being native to
modern Celtic lands.  (The Irish economy in the 1990s was called the
"Celtic tiger".)  The only heraldic charge I've ever heard with the
adjective "Celtic" is "Celtic cross", a cross with a ring (annulet)
centered on the crossing.  Such crosses were made in period (e.g., on
graves), but it was not known in period heraldry, but they are
SCA-registerable.

Is it perhaps knotwork?  If so, it's not registerable.  Knots, except
for a limited set of named period knots (Wake knot, Bowen knot,
Stafford knot), and recognizable conjunctions of them, are not
registerable.  From a recent ruling (two Wake knots conjoined):

    A pertinent precedent on the topic is in the LoAR of November
    1994, for the Middle Kingdom's Order of the Cavendish Knot,