[ANSTHRLD] another question...

Cahira cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 23:31:30 PDT 2002

--- Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> "The Compleat Russian Name Book" compiled
> and translated by Vikontessa Tatiana Nikolaevna
> Tumanova:

> Quite reliable, and used often.  Just make sure
> you're inerpreting the
> entries well.  I've screwed one or two up, but never
> fatally.

Ok, so what about a specific example:

The name Revekka is in this book with the following
tie, to attach" (English Rebecca) Dim.: Reva; Veka

This name is not in Wickenden's book (at least, I
wasn't able to find it in there). In fact, I wasn't
able to find any form of "Rebecca" in his book. I
don't know if that means that it didn't exist in
Russia until more recently, or if it means that he
just doesn't have it in his book. :-)

There is a point behind all of this. A submitter (who
also happens to be a friend of mine) wanted the name
"Revekka" registered. Well, the closest thing that
could be found in Wickenden's book was "Reviaka" which
is a masculine name. The name got registered like
this, but the submitter isn't really happy with it and
would prefer the feminine name. She asked me to look
into it for her. So, will I be able to help her with
this book info that I've found? Or will she still be
out of luck?

Cahira