[ANSTHRLD] Name Doc Request - William Ironwyrm

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Fri Jun 21 08:15:06 PDT 2002

This got forwarded to me at work, so the address I am writing from is not
subscribed to the herald's list, but here's some information for you.

I have been working to register the name Wyrmclaw.  I have documented Wyrm,
but not claw yet.  I have 'clawe' (Middle English) and 'clawu' (Old English)
so far.

For Wyrm:

A Dictionary of English Surnames (Oxford) lists:  Worm, Worms: Water Wormes
1275 RH(D); John le Werm, William le Wurm 1296 SRSx. OE wyrm 'snake,
dragon'.

Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary (online) lists:  worm: Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English wyrm serpent, worm; akin to Old High German
wurm serpent, worm, Latin vermis worm.  Definition 3: archaic: snake,
serpent.

Hope this helps,
Alden Drake